Your webinar invite: Australia’s new data breach laws and how to revamp your security
Gemalto’s Breach Level Index reported 1.4 billion data records compromised worldwide in 2016, up 86% from 2015. Closer to home, there were 44 & 16 voluntarily reported breaches in Australia and New Zealand. With the new Privacy Amendment (Notifiable Data Breaches) Act 2017 in Australia, these numbers are expected to increase dramatically as organisations are required to declare any “eligible data breaches”.
In 2014, the Target breach had a massive impact on the company’s brand reputation, while last year’s announcement of the Yahoo! data breach cost the company nearly $1.7 billion in stock market value.
Navigating these regulations such as the Australian Privacy Act and European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the impact they will have can be daunting.
This is the focus of an upcoming webinar on June 29 by Gemalto, which looks at how organisations must start planning ahead to mitigate the potential risks of being non-compliant. The implications of a data breach can go beyond compliance.
During this webinar, Helaine Leggat, a legal expert in data protection regulations, will discuss the Australian Privacy Act Amendment in detail, as well as what it means for businesses in Australia and internationally.
Graeme Pyper, Regional Director at Gemalto will also provide recommendations to help prepare for the 2018 deadline. We will share industry best practices and methodologies companies can evaluate to simplify a government audit process.
Join our experts to ask questions and learn more about:
- The local and global government data privacy regulations (Australia and Europe), covered by Helaine
- Gauging the true cost of a data breach and how to reduce the scope of risk, covered by Graeme and Helaine
- Understanding privacy by design throughout business, covered by Graeme
- Strategies for simplifying operations for regulation and internal audits, covered by Graeme
- Determining current industry compliance, which may be applicable to the Australian Privacy Act Amendment and GDPR, covered by Helaine
Webinar: Getting ready for Australia’s Privacy Act Amendment (Notifiable Data Breaches) and applying appropriate security controls Date: June 29, 10am AEST