HID Global has introduced the OMNIKEY Secure Element, the first offering in its planned embedded and desktop reader portfolio.
The trusted identity solutions company has announced the OMNIKEY Secure Element for reader manufacturers and others, integrating RFID-based security technology into connected solutions. It supports applications in connected workplaces, healthcare environments, education campuses, office buildings, and more.
HID Global's OMNIKEY Secure Element will succeed the iCLASS SE Processor and is the first step toward consolidating and optimising the company's desktop reader and reader module.
"OMNIKEY Secure Element provides wider integration capabilities than the iCLASS SE Processor while retaining its compatibility at an API level for a straightforward migration," the company says.
"It supports credential technologies including mobile IDs and employee badges in Apple Wallet while enabling current and emerging secure access identification and authentication applications ranging from locker management to electric vehicle charging."
The single-chip OMNIKEY Secure Element represents a safe key for leveraging all the advantages of Seos credential technology, such as multi-application converged access on mobile phones. It also supports other technologies from HID Global, such as iCLASS, and can be used for other card protocols such as MIFARE DESFire. HID Global says it is designed to deliver seamless security extensions for reader devices across many connected business applications such as secure print and time and attendance that span multiple smart offices, universities or other healthcare or government facilities.
"OMNIKEY Secure Element is the first of many OMNIKEY rollouts that will make it easier to create secured and convenient experiences using one consolidated development system that speeds technology integration, improves performance and expands user choices," says HID Global managing director, RFID Business Unit, Extended Access Technologies, Thierry Roz.
"This latest addition underscores HID Global's commitment to giving users secure yet effortless access to everything throughout the building. We're excited to migrate our existing partners and customers onto this new platform as they continue their innovation journey with us."
New technology features include:
- Secure Identity Object (SIO): Provides a secure, standards-based, technology-independent, and flexible identity data structure based on a new open credential standard.
- OMNIKEY platform: Provides multi-layer security that extends beyond the card technology for additional protection to identity data. It enables the use of NFC smartphones and other devices for mobile access, utilising iCLASS and Seos credentials.
- Faster integration: Developer's Tool Kit (DTK) provides resources that facilitate quick and easy integration and extends access to HID Global's broad developer community.
- Field-updatable firmware: Includes support for existing credential technologies, such as standard iCLASS and Seos. Firmware is field-upgradeable to address evolving market requirements.
- Low power consumption: Saves power and associated costs by hibernating when not in use.
"HID Global makes it possible for people to transact safely, work productively and travel freely," says Roz.
"Our trusted identity solutions give people convenient access to physical and digital places and connect things that can be identified, verified and tracked digitally. Millions of people worldwide use HID products and services to navigate their everyday lives, and over a billion things are connected through HID technology."